Program Options and Fees
- Full-Time Full-Day Program: A full-time position, from 8:30 – 5:00 Monday to Friday. The rate is $60/day which includes a healthy primarily organic lunch and snacks.
- Part-Time Full-Day Program: Children can participate in a combination of days for $65/day. Parents can choose as many days as they like, from 1:00 – 5:00. There is no minimum, or full-time requirement.
- Half-Day Program: Children can participate for mornings from 8:30 – 12:45 (includes lunch) for $45, or afternoons (1:00 – 5:00) for $40 per day. Minimum 2 half-days/week.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 8:30 – 5:00. **Please ask about extended hours.
The Guelph Outdoor Preschool program is created for children 3-6 years old. We may be able to include children who are a little younger if they are fully toilet trained.
The Daily Rhythm of the Outdoor Preschool
We carefully plan our days, but always keep a few aces up our sleeve to make sure that a sense of spontaneity permeates the children’s experience. The specific games and adventures change with the seasons, the ability levels, and the emotional state of the group. The children’s interests are an important deciding factor in the journeys taken.
A Typical Day at the Guelph Outdoor Preschool
|8:30 – 8:45||arrival|
|8:45 – 9:15||washroom routine, snack|
|9:15 – 9:30||dressing for outdoors, safety check|
|9:30 – 11:30||morning adventure* (forest, meadow, stream, wetlands, orchard, garden):we set out to our destination to explore, play make-believe, do art, make music, dance and sing, read stories, run and jump, collect stuff, learn practical skills, look for wildlife, scoop and pour, build, play games etc.|
|11:30 – 12:00||return to centre, share stories, washroom routine|
|12:00 – 12:45||lunch|
|12:45 – 2:30||nap time, quiet activities for non-nappers|
|2:30 – 3:00||washroom routine, snack|
|3:00 – 4:30||afternoon exploration*:we set out on another adventure where we continue to have fun and learn – possibly dancing, drumming and singing, to build willow shelter, map with earth, sticks, stones, collect bouquet of wild flowers, make ropes from bark, swing like monkeys from ropes, make nets like spiders, find edible greens, hide like fawns, tend kitchen garden|
|4:30 – 5:00||return to centre, free play, departure|
*Schedule may be changed based on children’s interests, needs, preparedness for activities, and weather conditions.
Dressing for the Weather
We will guide parents and children in preparing for the weather so that children are safe and comfortable and fully enjoy their day.
Families are given training on dressing for the weather and facilitators perform a daily safety check to ensure that children are well prepared and have everything they need.
In extreme weather conditions, including inclement weather below -10 degrees and thunder and lightning storms, we will use our fully equipped indoor play and learning centre. While inside, we will continue with our daily rhythm and learning plan, including activities such as painting, baking, cooking, potting plants, reading, drawing, weaving, creating plays, music-making, dancing and much more.
- Expressing interest: parents e-mail to ask about program and get more information.
- Tour: A site tour is scheduled with parents, children and program mentors. This is a good opportunity to view the facilities, meet mentors, and address any questions or concerns.
- Registration Form and Questionnaire is filled out and forwarded to the Guelph Outdoor Preschool.
- A placement is secured with a non-refundable deposit for the first month’s attendance. Orientation meeting is scheduled and a transition plan is formed for each child.
- The first three weeks are a time to work with parents to help a child transition into the program and assess suitability. We are dedicated to try our best to integrate every child, but reserve the right to withdraw acceptance in cases of unsuitability. If there are difficulties that affect the safety and enjoyment of other children we will make alternate arrangements with families.
Enrolment is limited, we offer priority on a first come first served basis.